AASDN Sports Nutrition Certificate FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
What am I able to do with an online sports nutrition certificate?
- Upon successful completion of the AASDN Sports Nutrition Certificate program you will be able to disseminate and teach sports nutrition as it relates to health and fitness. You will have the opportunity to become an AASDN Nutrition Specialist Instructor as well as teach sports nutrition in the health and fitness venue.
Should I complete the Nutrition Specialist Certification first or the SNC Program first?
- You should complete the Nutrition Specialist Certification first. Credits accumulated in completing the Nutrition Specialist Certification can be applied towards the SNC program. Hence, as a Nutrition Specialist you can complete the SNC program in 33 hours instead of 80 hours.
What are the legalities associated with disseminating and teaching sports nutrition?
- State licensure laws in nutrition address qualifications in providing nutrition counseling but not necessarily nutrition education. In all states allied health professionals can provide nutrition education as long as they do not hold themselves out to be dietitians or licensed dietitians or licensed nutritionists.
What are the steps necessary to begin teaching nutrition to my clients?
- The first step to begin teaching nutrition to your clients/students/patients is to complete the Nutrition Specialist Certification. Once certified as an AASDN Nutrition Specialist you can use all the documents posted online in the NS Member Center.
What are the steps necessary to continue my career in sports nutrition beyond the NS Certification?
- The first step in beginning your career in sports nutrition in is to complete the Nutrition Specialist Certification. The next step is to complete the AASDN Sports Nutrition Certificate program. As a Nutrition Specialist you have already completed over half of the requirements for the SNC program . Upon successful completion of this program you can begin disseminating sports nutrition in your profession and you also have the opportunity to become an AASDN Nutrition Specialist Program Provider.
What is the first step in becoming an AASDN Nutrition Specialist Instructor if I am a licensed dietitian?
- As a licensed dietitian with a certificate, certification or degree in exercise science and experience in a sports nutrition venue, or as a graduate of the SNC program you can request an interview with the AASDN-BOC director to discuss details of becoming a licensed instructor.
Why are most online programs so much more expensive than the AASDN program?
- AASDN is a non-profit organization with a mission to improve the quality of sports nutrition education in the health and fitness venue. Therefore, AASDN is dedicated to providing quality nutrition programming for health and fitness professionals at an affordable rate.
How long do I have to complete the program?
- There is a 1 year time limit to complete the SNC program. Upon completion and purchase of the Associate Certificate Program Exam there is a 6 month time limit from date of purchase to complete the exam.