Sports Nutrition Certificate (SNC) Program
AASDN is pleased to announce the establishment of the AASDN Online Sports Nutrition Certificate Program. Whether you are a student, personal trainer, an athletic trainer, a massage therapist, teacher, coach or a licensed dietitian, the AASDN Sports Nutrition Certificate (SNC) can expand your knowledge relating to the field of sports/wellness nutrition and enable you to disseminate this knowledge to professionals within your specific field. Graduates of the Sports Nutrition Certificate (SNC) have the opportunity to become independent Nutrition Specialist Program instructors under the directive of the AASDN.
The goal of the AASDN online Sports Nutrition Certificate Program (SNC) is to provide professionals (non-licensed and licensed professionals) with academic qualifications and experience in sports/wellness nutrition. The curriculum introduces the student to post secondary teaching skills, intermediate level nutrition, alternative medicine, business design and nutrition program design.
The SNC program builds on information learned in the Nutrition Specialist program; therefore, AASDN recommends that students complete the Nutrition Specialist Certification before entering the SNC Program. Contact hours obtained in the Nutrition Specialist Certification program may also be applied to the SNC program. See “Curriculum” and “Admissions” for more details on program requirements.
The SNC program must be completed within 1 year of its initiation. Students may complete the coursework at a time of their own choosing rather than at a specified time.
Certificate Program Versus Academic Degree
Certificate programs are discipline-specific courses designed as a way to fulfill professional development requirements or to earn recognition in a specific discipline. A certificate program is a program of education that results in a certificate of completion rather than a degree.
In general, certificate programs either prepare students to complete a specific task or educate them about one particular aspect of their field. Certificate programs are aimed at supplementing the professional’s education and prepare the professional to work in another arena within the profession.
While a certificate program takes less time to finish and is valuable when it comes to advancing your career and enhancing your knowledge, it is not a stepping stone toward achieving a higher level academic degree. Therefore, if you wish to work toward achieving a degree in nutrition you should work toward earning that degree from an accredited university rather than participate in a certificate program. If this is not of concern to you, and you wish to gain recognition in sports nutrition, a certificate program is a better option.
The AASDN Online Sports Nutrition Certificate Programs serves 5 distinctive audiences:
- Students with clinical degrees or in science-related degree programs seeking employment opportunities in health-related industries and community based programs.
- Individuals with no previous experience in the field who would like to use the AASDN Online Sports Nutrition Certificate Programs as a stepping stone towards a formal degree.
- Non-licensed nutrition professionals seeking career advancement. Individuals need NOT be licensed in nutrition to take advantage of the curriculum offered through the AASDN Online Sports Nutrition Certificate Programs. Graduates of the AASDN Online Sports Nutrition Certificate programs that are not Registered Dietitians (RD) do NOT hold themselves out to be as such and are qualified to relate sports/wellness nutrition information to their specific fields and work in an academic, educational and work setting.
- Health and fitness professionals seeking advancement in the sports/wellness nutrition venue but lack the academic qualifications and experience.
- Licensed Registered Dietitians (clinical degree) seeking employment in the sports/wellness nutrition venue – but lack the academic qualifications and experience. These licensed professionals can also take advantage of the curriculum offered through the AASDN Online Sports Nutrition Certificate Program.
Upon successful completion of the AASDN Sports Nutrition Certificate graduates have the opportunity to disseminate sports/wellness nutrition information in their respective health related field. Graduates of the Sports Nutrition Certificate (SNC) also have the opportunity to become independent Nutrition Specialist Instructors. AASDN will assist in directing students concerning employment opportunities; however, AASDN makes no guarantee about employment opportunities or placement services.
Successful completion of the AASDN Sports Nutrition Certificate Programs does not qualify the graduate to take required professional examinations for the FL Dietetics program or the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics programs. Please visit http://www.eatrightflorida.org/ for details on the FL Dietetics Association.
Upon successful completion of the SNC program, graduates also have the opportunity to become an independent Nutrition Specialist Instructor (NSI). READ MORE